Trainers design and deliver complex, extensive learning and development (L&D) programmes, enabling the organisation to achieve its goals and individuals to fulfil their potential. This requires the full range of teaching skills and is likely to be an individual’s main professional role.
- Use an evidence-based approach to identify learning needs and specify learning outcomes to inform the design and development of training.
- Design and develop learning programmes and sessions, identifying and incorporating training and learning methodologies that are capable of meeting individual and organisational learning needs with available resources and within specified timescales.
- Research, design, develop and maintain learning materials that enhance the learning and engage the learners.
- Deliver training using a wide range of learning methodologies ensuring learners are managed, motivated, facilitated, coached and supported to achieve the intended learning outcomes.
- Foster and maintain a safe, inclusive and effective learning environment to enable learners engagement and participation
- Determine an appropriate assessment strategy and conduct learner assessments, to evaluate and record prior learning and the achievement of intended learning outcomes at appropriate points in the programme, and to meet internal or national verification standards.
- Analyse assessment results and, where relevant, construct and implement personal development plans to ensure that individuals achieve the intended learning outcomes.
- Utilise assessment analysis and stakeholder feedback to inform the development and continuous improvement of training interventions and overall learning experience within the organisation.
- Identify opportunities for and support the exploration of innovations and best practices in L&D, incorporating these into training approaches to improve the quality of L&D interventions and to support the enhancement of L&D practice across the organisation.
All roles are expected to know, understand and act within the ethics and values of the Police Service.
The Competency and Values Framework (CVF) has six competencies that are clustered into three groups. Under each competency are three levels that show what behaviours will look like in practice.
It is suggested that this role should be operating or working towards the following levels of the CVF:
Resolute, compassionate and committed
Inclusive, enabling and visionary leadership
Intelligent, creative and informed policing
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
Prior Education and Experience:
- Competent and operating within the Police Sector Standard for the Training of Trainers (‘Trainer Standard’)
- Knowledgeable in the subject matter in which training is developed and delivered.
Police Education and Qualifications Framework (PEQF):
- For trainers delivering training in conjunction with Higher Education (HE) or Further Education (FE) providers (for example, delivering elements of the Policing Education Qualification Framework (PEQF) programmes), there may be further recognition or qualifications required in addition to working to the Trainer Standard. It is a usual requirement of HE/FE providers for delivery and assessment staff to possess a level of work experience in their field which exceeds the level of knowledge being delivered and/or assessed or to possess an equivalent or higher level of qualification within a related subject area. Additionally, it is a usual requirement of HE/FE providers for delivery and assessment staff to either possess or be working towards a level of teaching qualification that exceeds the level of programme they are delivering/assessing on. For further details, please refer to the National Programme Specification of the relevant programme, located on the College Managed Learning Environment.
- Effective stakeholder relationship management skills, able to identify the key stakeholders and to take appropriate steps to understand their needs and concerns.
- Understands adult learning principles and processes and applies these to design, adapt and improve learning programmes and to support individuals throughout the learning and development cycle.
- Understands and applies best practices in designing, developing and adapting learning materials and resources.
- Understands and uses models of group behaviour and group learning to plan and manage group activity and ensure effective individual learning.
- Skilled in a range of teaching and presentational techniques and able to select and apply these appropriately and flexibly.
- Skilled in using questioning, listening and non-verbal communication techniques to give, elicit and receive feedback and to overcome communication barriers.
- Understands and applies the concepts and principles of individual assessment.
- Able to create and follow project plans, and to identify and mitigate risks to delivery.
- Able to review own performance objectively and to develop and follow an appropriate personal development plan.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Maintain competence in own area of training subject matter expertise, including knowledge and understanding of legislation, College of Policing Guidance, and best practice.
- Participate in networking opportunities, reflecting on your practice and sharing learning with peers in order to inform and improve policy, processes and practice.
- Maintain and enhance knowledge and understanding of new approaches to training identified by evidence based research and through advances to learning and development models and methodologies. Test and synthesise these into working practice, championing innovation and changes to practice.
- Complete all mandatory annual training as required.
- Consider membership of a relevant professional body and use of the membership for CPD opportunities.
- Find out how your current qualifications and experience might map into training at a higher level, for example for PEQF programmes. Seek advice on Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and further training opportunities.
- May be required, depending on the training subject matter.
Links to other Profiles
- Internal Verifier
- L&D Manager
- Head of Learning and Development