The purpose of this role is for police officers from England, Scotland and Wales who are already trained in tactics as outlined within module B2 of the National Police Public Order Training Curriculum (NPPOTC) to be trained in additional tactics (NPPOTC Module B3 – Northern Ireland Public Order) that are unique to the operating environment for the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) that will enable them to be deployed to PSNI as part of an augmentation resource should the need arise.
• Work with other police officers using approved tactical communications and conflict management skills to deal with public order and public safety situations.
• Carry out strategy and tactics that are set by the command team in the management of public order to contribute to keeping people safe and to the effective running of a peaceful event or protest.
• Evaluate threat and risk to public safety when policing and communicate with other police officers to ensure prompt action to risk where appropriate and within tactics and plans.
• Comply with all applicable national and regional guidelines and legislation to ensure the safe and legal policing of public order events, recording and reporting policing actions to ensure that there is an audit trail and to support law enforcement.
• Engage in and contribute to the debriefing process to ensure information is effectively transmitted and to contribute to organisational learning.
• Use, and where appropriate, inspect and maintain public order Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) to ensure safety of officers using PPE for public order operations or incidents.
All roles are expected to know, understand and act within the ethics and values of the Police Service.
The Competency and Values Framework (CVF) has six competencies that are clustered into three groups. Under each competency are three levels that show what behaviours will look like in practice.
It is suggested that this role should be operating or working towards the following levels of the CVF:
Resolute, compassionate and committed
Inclusive, enabling and visionary leadership
Intelligent, creative and informed policing
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
Prior education and experience:
• Multi Stage Fitness Test (MSFT) standard for PSU officers, which is the endurance standard test at level 6:3.
• Trained to Module 2 – First aid skills police (emergency first aider at work) of the College of Policing First Aid learning programme
• Officer safety trained as per their individual force policy
• Public order core themes Module A1 e-learning programme on the Managed Learning Environment (MLE) prior to attending public order training.
• Level 2 public order trained to the standards described in module B2 of the NPPOTC
• Level 2 public order PSNI trained to the standards described in module B3 of the NPPOTC
• Good communication skills with the ability to listen to others.
• Able to produce concise reports or other documents.
• Able to break down a straightforward problem into component parts and determine appropriate action.
• Able to interpret and apply guidance to a specific activity.
• Able to work effectively in a team to achieve shared objectives, demonstrating awareness of individual differences and providing support as required.
• Able to review own performance objectively and to take steps to maintain and enhance competence and professional standards appropriate to the role.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
• Comply with mandated annual refresher training requirements including but not limited to; First Aid and Officer Safety.
• Keep up to date with changing public order legislation and how this may affect you in your role.
• Maintain knowledge of crowd dynamics and crowd psychology based on current guidance and best practice.
• Must undertake a module B2 training package within an annual basis (within 365 days) to maintain status as an accredited and trained level 2 public order officer.
• Must undertake a module B3 training package within a bi-annual (within 730 days) basis to maintain status as an accredited and trained PSNI level 2 public order trained officer.
Links to other Profiles
NPoCC Mercury Profile – PSNI Police Support Unit Officer 355 v2
NPPOTC Module G3 – Annex C Level 2 (module B3) Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) trained public order officer role profile